Printpack, founded in 1956, formally opened the Grand Prairie plant in May 1969 at a ceremony attended by the company’s founder and president, J. Erskine Love, Jr. This was the company’s first plant expansion, extending its reach from its Atlanta base to growing opportunities in the southwest. The plant was built to produce flexible packaging material primarily for snack food and rice producing customers located in the region. Initially, the plant was comprised of printing and laminating equipment and eventually was expanded to include blown film making capabilities.
The plant was significantly expanded over the years, with the site now having two manufacturing plants and employing approximately 300 people. The two plants serve a wide range of end-use markets in the food and non-food packaging sectors. The converting facility was modernized within the past five years with the latest in printing, laminating and slitting technology. The film plant has also been updated with a new blown extrusion film line installed recently and a new cast coextruded film line to be installed during 2019.
Jimmy Love, Chairman and CEO of Printpack, issued the following statement regarding the anniversary of Grand Prairie. “The opening of our Grand Prairie plant in 1969 was an important, early-stage milestone in the growth of Printpack as we were still a very young company, with only one plant and less than $75 million in revenue. Our company today is close to $1.3 billion in revenues with nineteen plants and over 3800 associates. We appreciate the loyalty and dedication of all our Grand Prairie associates past and present. Our recent reinvestments in both our film and converting assets enhanced our capabilities and position us for many more years of having a successful, growing business in Grand Prairie.”