Green was the most popular packaging hue for a number of responses. Here are some select comments.
• Any material can be recycled, but there has to be a policy of collecting it.
• Recycled stock looks worse than virgin stock and costs more.
• Virgin board is very hard on machine surfaces compared to recycled board.
• You must balance sustainability with function.
• Sustainable materials are currently too expensive!
• Recycled materials do not necessarily help to reduce the environmental impact, as the media wants us to believe. We cannot destroy matter; we can only change its composition.
• Besides withstanding all handling up to and into users’ homes, packaging must be intuitively environmentally friendly.
• PVC plastics are really “green” materials when compared with alternatives (for more on this view, see packworld.com/webonly-23696).