What questions should CPG companies ask co-packers to assess whether they are capable of handling contract packaging operations in the brand owner’s distribution center? Joe DeYoung, Kimberly-Clark’s distribution operations manager for North American Consumer Products, provides five questions that top his list.
• Can the co-packer provide a full array of services?
• Is the co-packer willing to invest in equipment for the long term?
• Can the co-packer demonstrate any technical capabilities it claims to have?
• Does the co-packer operate in a culture of continuous improvement that goes beyond merely providing adequate day-to-day service?
• Can the co-packer demonstrate it has the resources to manage changing needs in this area?