Highlights include Borealis’s recently-launched BorShape™ film one-product solution, use of Daplen™ TPO grades for the new VW Touareg bumper, and the latest Bormed™ advances for pharmaceutical packaging.
BorShape covers packaging challenges in one solution
bull; BorShape is a new generation of film materials that offers unparalleled performance without compromising operational performance. It sets a new standard in the PO film market by creating new opportunities to develop innovative packaging films with less material, greater efficiency and improved environmental and lifecycle performance.
• High toughness and very high stiffness allow faster line speeds, downgauging of up to 30%, and lower energy use during processing and transportation for films that match or outperform the features of comparable advanced metallocene based polyethylene materials.
VW Touareg bumper fascias strengthen PP foothold in automotive
• Close co-operation with customers led Daplen VB4411, a TPO containing 10% mineral filler, to be chosen for the bumper fascias on the new VW Touareg. The material provided the ideal solution to meet requirements for very low thermal expansion and to yield parts with “zero gap” dimensional tolerance.
• Bumper fascias are a key example of polypropylene’s increasing foothold in automotive applications owing to its weight reduction, fuel efficiency, aesthetics and unit cost-saving advantages.
Latest Bormed innovations bring manufacturing and user benefits to healthcare sector
• Borealis is one of few polymer companies in the world capable of meeting all the stringent requirements of the healthcare industry offering security of supply, dedicated materials, additional support and innovation. Bormed dedicated polyolefins meet the highest quality standards and fulfil all regulatory requirements for pharmaceutical and medical applications.
• The latest developments to be featured at Interplastica 2011 include Bormed LE6601-PH for flexible ampoules and Bormed SC820CF for pouches. Both grades create new opportunitiesfor improved performance and efficiency in the healthcare market.
15 years success story in Russia
At Interplastica, Borealis will also celebrate 15 years in Russia. Almost since Borealis was founded, the company has been present with a Sales Office in the growing Russian market. Mainly supplied with polyolefins and base chemicals materials from Borealis’ plant in Porvoo, Finland, the focus in the Russian market is on advanced packaging and infrastructure applications.
“With signs indicating a strengthening in the Russian economy following the global recession and rising energy prices, companies now have an increasing awareness of the need for modernisation such as for example the demand for lighter weight vehicles or thinner packaging and a focus on innovation in order to remain competitive,” comments Gerd Löbbert, Executive Vice President for Polyolefins at Borealis. “Interplastica 2011 presents Borealis with an important networking opportunity with existing and potential customers from the growing plastics sector in Russia and Eastern Europe. We are looking forward to demonstrating how our latest innovations continue the 15 years success story of proving added-value in creating new market opportunities and improving the productivity, cost-efficiency and environmental performance of companies around the world.”