In its latest comments, the National Food Processors Assn. urged flexibility in labeling claims and recommended that FDA:
• conduct a First Amendment analysis for the rulemaking, and apply First Amendment principles to the rule;
• remove minimum nutrient contribution requirements from health claims provisions;
• replace disqualifying nutrient levels for health claims with disclosures;
• consider removing the requirement for the word “may” from the expression of “significant scientific agreement” health claims;
• permit unlisted synonyms for nutrient content claims, and develop flexible provisions for “anchoring” unlisted synonyms; and
• permit abbreviated and implied health claims.