It’s always fascinating to find a source on global packaging trends. I came across one recently, plastemart.com, an India-based trading portal for the plastics industry. It provides a really good description of new things emerging from a number of regions. For instance:
• Biaxplan makes nine-layer coextruded barrier films in Russia.
• The U.S. Army Soldier Research Development and Engineering Center has been developing a high-barrier nonfoil system for MREs that is retortable; Kuraray, Flint Hills, Honeywell, and Mitsui are all involved on the supply side.
• In Turkey, Superfilm Ambalaj has three BOPP lines, one BOPET line, and one seven-layer cast barrier line. Work on oxodegradable films is also ongoing.
• In Italy, Taghleef Industries produces BOPP films that show good moisture barrier properties for pasta, coffee, and sliced meat applications.
• Constantia Flexibles has a new multilayer lid structure that can be laser cut for easy opening.