- Contract Packaging
- Packaging Leaders
- Calendar of Events
Article | May 27, 2010
How well do you know your Hispanic shoppers? 10 things to consider
An effective packaging strategy goes beyond a bilingual label. It considers all aspects of the package. But first, you need to study this complex and emotional group.
Hispanics have purchasing power approaching $1 trillion, yet the packaging for many brands that purport to grab their attention often does precious little to engage them beyond including a bilingual label.
How to market to them in a truly holistic branding experience? Elizabeth Fauerso, director of strategy and planning at Dieste, lists 10 things marketers and brand managers should know about Hispanic shoppers. Here is her list:
1. Hispanics are destination shoppers.
2. Variety is the spice of Hispanic shopping.
3. A personal map replaces “near my home.”
4. One shopper, four lists.
5. Brands battle it out at the shelf.
6. The emergence of digital in retail.
7. “Shopping” is limited only to planned trips.
8. Private label takes the stage.
9. Product attributes drive brand choice.
10. They have a different definition for convenience.
Fauerso’s list should inspire thinking about package design that goes beyond label copy and begins to seamlessly incorporate all elements of a package to effectively court the Hispanic consumer.
E-BOOK SPECIAL REPORT
45 Best Package Designs
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this e-book consisting of our editors' picks of most notable package designs.