- Contract Packaging
- Leaders in Packaging
Article | August 31, 2003
Cradle-to-cradle catches on (sidebar)
Seven reasons to start a cradle-to-cradle packaging workgroup
Participants in the July meeting identified at least seven reasons a cradle-to-cradle packaging workgroup would have value to them:
• Distribution packaging which has the potential to affect the greatest number of companies first could be targeted for streamlining.
• Packagers can speak with a common voice to counter mass merchandisers who dictate environmentally
unsustainable package designs.
• Demand for more materials having a higher percentage of recycled content can be increased thus increasing the
economic viability of such materials.
• Collection and recovery issues can be addressed by a group in recognition of the fact that tackling the issue is beyond the means of any single company.
• The cradle-to-cradle concept can be leveraged to create new kinds of packages that add value for consumers.
• The industry can learn more about the additives and chemicals used in the manufacture of packaging materials and work together to substitute environmentally sustainable alternatives where appropriate.
• Being perceived as proactive about sustainable
packaging is better than being reactive especially in the eyes of consumers and regulatory bodies.
Related Sponsored Content
E-BOOK SPECIAL REPORT
44 Best Package Designs
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this e-book of our editors’ selections for most innovative package designs of the past year.