McCormick & Company, Inc., a global leader in flavor, has released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility review, "Sharing Our Passion for Flavor." The review builds on the company's tradition of social responsibility by outlining key focus areas, examining current global initiatives, measuring performance, and setting goals for the future.
"Our CSR vision is to grow our business globally while driving positive change to the environment, within our communities and for our employees," says Alan Wilson, Chairman, President, and CEO. "This CSR review highlights the linkage between our philanthropic work, protection of the environment, and our business success."
McCormick says that it has already saved more than 300 tons of plastic annually by using sustainable packaging on four of the company's plastic bottle types. The length of these saved bottles equals that of 14,000 football fields. These savings build upon the company's success at its net-zero energy facility in Belcamp, MD, and its aggressive operational goals focused on energy efficiency, packaging, waste, and water reduction at nearly 50 locations in 24 countries.
According to McCormick, it plans to report on its progress toward the following 2018 goals in subsequent reports:
Delivering High Performance Goals:
• 25% reduction in global bottle packaging weight using sustainable methods.
• Reduce electricity use by 20%.
• Reduce water use by 20%.
• Reduce solid waste by 50%.
• Reduce greenhouse gases by 10%.
Power of People Goals:
• Promote an inclusive environment globally
• Exceed best-in-class employee engagement levels
• Identify baseline global employee volunteer hours by 2014. Global employee volunteer hours will be equal or exceed 100,000 hr/yr.
Taste You Trust Goals:
• Create a more sustainable product supply chain from farm to finished product.
• 50% funding increase for farming community programs to include completing and sustaining farming community projects assisting local farmers improving their quality of life and livelihoods.
Inspiring Healthy Choices Goals:
• Launch of the McCormick employee Eating Well program globally.
• 20% increase in global marketing investment aimed at educating consumers and industry leaders on the role of flavor in healthier eating.