Kraft Foods has introduced what it says is a more convenient and sustainable package for its eight salad dressing varieties for the foodservice environment. The YES Pack is a 1-gal side-gusseted stand-up pouch with dual handles on top and bottom and a rigid screw-cap closure that replaces the traditional rigid plastic container for dressings.
Among the sustainability advantages cited for the YES Pack versus a rigid jug are the following:
• Assembly of packaging requires 50% less energy
• Packaging waste occupies 50% less landfill space
• Transportation of film involves 70% fewer CO2 emissions
• Restaurant operations enjoy up to 99% product yield, reducing waste
• Made with 6 oz less water per 2/1-gal case
• Discarded materials take up 86% less receptacle space
For convenience and easy handling, the new packaging offers dual handles—one on the top of the pack, and one on the bottom—and a smaller mouth. The pack reduces dripping and spilling compared with rigid jugs, and less storage space is required for the product.