is taking the opportunity at PACK Expo to introduce a new-generation all-paper, honeycomb-based pallet option that gives consumer packaged goods companies surfaces for branding messages on the pallet itself.
Called Hexacomb® Billboard™, the pallet alternative adds an outer-edge wrap consisting of kraft paper layers laminated to a clay-coated (white) outer surface. Logos, branding communications, retailer names, and other information can be flexographically printed on the outer-edge wrap in a repeating pattern. Besides these options, the edge wrap improves pallet strength and durability, key considerations in the ever-increasing interest in retail-ready packaging.
The pallets are made from linerboard and water-based adhesives, and are being tested in retail stores across the nation. Early results are favorable; users are finding the pallets offer an intriguing way to transform pallets into true displays in the store.
Besides the added marketing "real estate," the pallets offer the following advantages:
• Water resistance, attributed to the 80% virgin fiber content and the wrapped fiberboard content in the pallets.
• The ability to handle static loads of up to 6,000 lbs.
• The pallets themselves are lighter-weight—no more than 10 lbs., compared with 40 lbs. for typical wood pallets, eliminating about 800 lbs. of pallet weight per truckload to improve transportation costs.
• Better nesting capability.
• Improved sanitation and cleanliness.
• A smooth surface.