Digitally printed labels are among the fastest-growing segment of the label industry, and with good reason. Digital labels offer a host of benefits for consumer packaged goods companies with speed-to-market at the core of their marketing strategies.
An article on InfoTrends’ InfoBlog site lists nine reasons driving the growth of digitally printed packaging. They are:
1. Increases in private-label products and resulting shorter runs.
2. Package testing.
3. Customizing for target markets or event marketing.
4. Making the package interactive.
5. Streamlined solutions for secure variable data label printing.
6. Improvements in supply chain management.
7. An emphasis on sustainability.
8. Expanded media options.
9. Available technology.
National brands have benefited from the advantages of using full- and spot-color labels with extremely sharp definition and edges to produce visually pleasing packages that get shoppers’ attention. And now, retailers are getting into the act with their own brands, as they begin to better understand packaging’s marketing muscle.
These and other factors have created a rosy forecast for digital labels, the sales of which are projected to nearly double by 2013.