- Contract Packaging
- Leaders in Packaging
This content was submitted directly to this Web site by the supplier.Article | April 24, 2014
Trinity Resources: Antiblock additive for plastic film manufacturing
Altiblock™ is Trinity’s antiblock product produced from the company’s pyrophyllite deposit in Newfoundland, Canada.
“Talc, nepheline syenite and DE have been the incumbent high performance antiblock minerals in plastic films for a long time. The morphology of our Altiblock combines the best attributes of talc, nepheline syenite and DE into one product. By focusing on our logistics and manufacturing costs we are able balance the cost to performance equation for film processors throughout the NAFTA region,” said John Hurley, President and CEO of Trinity Resources.
Plastic film encompasses a wide range of applications including plastic bags, food packaging, shrink wrap, horticultural films, and even video film tape. What prevents two layers of plastic film from sticking together (for example in a garbage bag) is the antiblocking mineral which is added during the manufacturing process. Trinity’s Altiblock is a new alternative additive for plastic film manufacturers.
Pyrophyllite is a hydrous aluminum silicate mineral and is the basis for Trinity’s Altiblock products. It offers a natural blend of talc-like platy particles and irregular, blocky particle shapes to provide optimal blocking, clarity, film strength, barrier resistance and improved thermal efficiency of the film.
Related Sponsored Content
Trinity’s Altiblock™ products offer:
• Very low iron content (Fe2O3) <0.2% - a higher iron content can accelerate degradation of the organic components or the film resin. Altiblock™ antiblocking additives are produced from a consistent, naturally low iron containing ore; and therefore reduce organic degradation.
• Lower hardness compared to DE, Nepheline Syenite (NS) - Altiblock’s mohs hardness is comparable to talc and much lower than DE and Nepheline Syenite. A higher hardness can accelerate machine wear for processors.
• A refractive index comparable to the best antiblock products - refractive index differences between inorganic particles and the surrounding polyolefin determine the additives impact on clarity or haze. Altiblock™ has a refractive index close to nelpheline syenite – the highest clarity in the market. Altiblock™ outperforms Talc and diatomaceous earth on clarity.
• Specific gravity can impact film yield for the film producer - as denser materials are added to a nominal 0.920 gm/cc polyolefin, apparent throughput is increased (kg/hr) meaning that if gauge is held constant, a given area of film will weigh more.
• Low Moisture Content - The moisture content of Trinity’s Altiblock™ products are typically less than 0.2% which means reduced gassing and venting issue and improved shelf life.
Altiblock is available in four distinct sizes including 2, 4, 6 and 9 micron sizes with distinct morphology and particle size distribution curves. For a talc replacement Altiblock™ D400 can greatly improve block force and clarity and for a DE replacement Altiblock™ D900 can improve clarity while being equivalent in block force.
E-BOOK SPECIAL REPORT
44 Best Package Designs: 2015
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this e-book of our editors’ selections for most innovative package designs of the past year.