- Contract Packaging
- Leaders in Packaging
Article | April 30, 2005
• A Kaps-All AU-3 unscrambler that places high-density polyethylene bottles onto a conveyor. Glass bottles are loaded on a feed table that are fed into a [b]McBrady[n] Model #200 Orbit bottle cleaner that uses air to do the job before placing bottles back onto the conveyor.
• An eight-head inline piston filler from Kugler that fills bottles with 1/2 oz to 16 oz of liquid. “We purchased it after we initially saw it at the Interphex show last year” reports Loyd Bowman Pharma Fab’s director of facilities and equipment.
• A six-head Kaps-All A6 spindle capper applies a screw cap some of which are child-resistant.
• Plastic bottles are conveyed through an AutoMate AM-250 “Smart Seal” induction sealer that Bowman says is equipped with a controller so that it can check for things such as missing foil a raised cap a stalled bottle and determine if heating temperatures are accurate.
• Next bottles proceed to a “surge” table that allows for accumulation so that the induction-sealed bottles are cooled before a Kaps-All retorquer FA6 tightens the caps to the bottles.
• A Quadrel Versaline labeling system applies a wraparound pressure-sensitive label to the bottle. Labels are coded on the web with a lot number and expiration date via a Videojet thermal-transfer coder.
• In some applications a Creative Automation machine is employed to apply a drop of hot melt glue on top of the bottle cap. An operator then places a prefolded instructional insert onto the glue to hold it in place.
• Bottles are manually loaded into a carton or case from a custom-built conveyor system from Modular Packaging. The system incorporates four workstations to accommodate packers. Following case packing palletizing and stretch wrapping pallets are stored in a controlled warehouse prior to shipment.
Related Sponsored Content
E-BOOK SPECIAL REPORT
44 Best Package Designs: 2015
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this e-book of our editors’ selections for most innovative package designs of the past year.