- Contract Packaging
- Leaders in Packaging
Article | January 19, 2010
Blister machine expands capacity for contract pharmaceutical packaging
Compass Pharma Services installs a new high-speed blister-packaging machine.
By installing a new high-speed blister-packaging machine, Compass Pharma Services, LLC expanded its blister-packaging capacity for contract pharmaceutical packaging and contract vitamin packaging.
The Uhlmann thermoformer UPS4 operates at up to 50 cycles/min, says Compass, depending upon product size, configuration and packaging material.
"Blister packaging and unit-dose packaging continues to grow in popularity among our pharmaceutical packaging and nutritional packaging customers," says Tony Fenno, chief operating officer at the Clifton, NJ-based independently owned and operated contract cGMP packager. "Our investment in additional blister packaging capacity was necessary to keep pace with this increased demand.
"Uhlmann systems are among the most widely used blister-packaging machines in the pharmaceutical and nutrition industry," he says. "This new machine supports Compass' business strategy of providing contract pharmaceutical packaging services with the same quality and consistency of in-house production."
With the installation of the new machine, Compass Pharma can produce cold-foil blisters or thermoformed blister packages from PVC, PVDC, and barrier films such as PCTFE (AclarÂ®). Package and fill consistency are assured with an integrated vision detection system that continuously inspects manufacturing quality and tablet or capsule fill accuracy.
Among Compass Pharma's new cGMP blister packaging capabilities are the following:
• Integrated filling and large-format tooling option to fill multiple tablets/capsules into a common blister, for regimen and compliance packaging
• Inline cartoning and secondary operations for a complete turnkey line
• Inline flexo printing for high-quality, cost-effective package labeling options.
• Balcony construction for cGMP packaging requirements
• Deep-draw (12-mm to 35-mm) thermoforming capabilities for large tablets/capsules.
• Chilled feed area, isolated from heating elements, to allow for packaging of temperature-sensitive products including probiotics.
Compass operates a fully-equipped cGMP contract packaging facility on a two-shift-per-day schedule for packaging solid-dose preparations, liquids, and powders into virtually all packaging forms, including blisters, pouches, bottles, and cans. Customers include pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, and manufacturers of over-the-counter (OTC) products.
Related Sponsored Content
E-BOOK SPECIAL REPORT
The 2014 Trends Report
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this e-book consisting of our editors' picks of most notable package designs. Updated for 2014!